Saturday, October 24, 2009

5km non-stop (entirely running) - for the first time ever!

I just ran, for the first time ever, 5 kilometres without stopping. Without walking. And without cursing and hating every moment of it.

This suprised me, as my life recently has been leaning more towards the sedentary side. The slothenly side. Or to put it bluntly - I've been pretty darn lazy lately.

So it amazes me that one tub of orange chocolate chip icecream, a good few packets of bikkies, much lying in bed watching outrageous fortune dvds, and the odd walk to/from work = being able to run further than I've ever run before. This is definately my kind of training!

It would have been so easy not to go for a run after work when you finish at 4.30am. I knew this, and so I packed my running gear; walked to work so I had no alternative transport home; didn't carry an eftpos card or money in any form thus eliminating any other means of getting home, besides on foot; and told everyone at work that I was indeed intending to run home, and hoped like hell they would hold me to it.

I got the stitch before I even finished by 3 minute or so warm up walk across the carpark. Oh f**k I said to myself - this doesn't bode well at all! So I cranked up Queen on the ipod and set off - there's something about that music that just lifts you up. Well that and the way it's easy to keep running when every second lyric is reminding you of your own fat bottom. And though Queen don't seem to mind a cushy rump, I'm not convinced all men feel the same.

I know they say that you shouldn't run with your ipod in - particularly on dark streets in the middle of the night when there aren't too many others about - but hey, it's not really a choice is it - likelyhood of being attacked (I hope) is rather slim versus the likelyhood of going crazy/giving up/hating every moment of the run if I don't have bohemian rhapsody to rhapsodise to is 100% likely. Not a tough choice. Plus the music distracts me from all the other noises you don't notice during the day. Like those flags they hang from street lamps to advertise things. Those things flapping in the wind sound exactly like footsteps pounding down the pavement behind you (in the wellington wind, obviously). And the street lights casting shadows in every which way has me puzzling, in a more than slightly anxious way, whether that third silhouette is just another of mine, or of some creepy stalker with less than honorable intentions. So music it was, and shall be!

I set the goal of running at least the first 2 km. And then I could walk the rest. Those 2 km came and went and I wasn't dead. So, a bit like forrest, but minus the excessive facial hair, I just kept on running. All the way to my door.

So proud. And tired. Time for bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment